LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:36:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Seriously broken Debian package manager

This is a pain, but it can be done.

hand install libc6 libdb1-compat which depend upon each other.
first hand install libc6 using
dpkg --force-depends -i libc6_2.3.2-7_i386.deb
dpkg -i libdb1-compat_2.1.3-7_i386.deb

It looks like you will have to hand install the updated perl packages

Upgrading from potato to woody was a pain and going from woody to testing is also a pain.

I don't know why your system locked up though.

I have burned a set of Debian Testing CD's if you would like to borrow them if your system is totally hosed.

do a "dpkg --get-selections | less" to see is your /var/lib/dpkg is still in working order.

I hope that this helps a little

Mike Leone wrote:
<SIGH>

So I'm in the process of upgrading from stable to testing ... and the damn
hardware locks up tight. Norecourse but to power off. When it comes back up,
I try to finish out the update, by doing "apt-get -f install". I get many
complaints:

things like "dpkg-preconfigure - line 3 BEGIN not found"
many other errors on other lines, things like "qq comand not found"

--bad perl install?

update-alternatives error messages about not being able to execute "new
pre-install scripts"; no such file; command not found; /eoment: no such
file"

I think my list of available packages is hosed. I have tried "apt-get
update" again, and "dselect update"; neither has helped.

I gotta get this thing back up and running soon.

Pointers? I can't seem to find anything useful by googling around, but that
may be because I'm stressed out and entering bad search terms. :-(

Anyways, I can't install any packages at ALL now. And I *really* don't feel
like re-formatting and starting over ...

Plus, I can't even stay late; they lock the building here around 6PM. So I
can't do anything about it until Wed A.M.

I may not be at the meeting Wed. :-)

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/