Paul on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 02:18:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux server migration headache

I created scripts that essentially push passwd, shadow, group, and gshadow files to other systems. I designed them not to copy accounts below UID 500. Really, it's better to do it manually.

Do the home directories exist with the proper ownership and permissions?

W. Chris Shank wrote:

I need to move all the data from one linux server to another. I'm having
the most trouble with moving the user/group accounts. I thought copying
the differential into the passwd, shadow, group files would be enough -
yet it still doesn't allow migrated user logins. I'm wondering if the
servers use a different encryption key for the passwd or something.

Anyone know of a good resource to automate this process?