W. Chris Shank on 12 Oct 2003 01:30:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Fedora Linux

I don't know if add/remove apps recognizes the cdrom, I use synaptic to
update. I know the cdrom works though - and burns fine.

DSDT is the hardware definition table. Apparently every manufacturer has
one (several) that their systems conform to (supposedly). ACPI uses this
determine where the hardware is and how to handle it. At least, this is
what I've surmised in the few days I've been learning about it.

On Sat, 2003-10-11 at 17:13, Paul wrote:
> W. Chris Shank wrote:
>
> >I've been testing Fedora Linux (Severn 0.94 Beta 2) for a few weeks now
> >and I am thoroughly impressed. What has been most shocking is the
> >interface responsiveness. If anyone ever tells you that the Linux
> >interface is slow compared to Windows, take them for a test drive of
> >Fedora.
> >

> I'm less than impressed with Fedora Core.  I had a freeze problem
> related to my wireless PCI card.  Also, some applications didn't
> function as expected.  Synaptic bombs out.  Add/Remove Apps can never
> detect the CD-ROMs.  The Web browser will not alllow me to connect to my
> bank's Web site.  I expect test 3 to be better, and the final release to
> be impressive.
>
> >ACPI is supported, thought turned off (acpi=on in grob.conf). On my
> >centrino laptop, turning on ACPI get the sound and PCMCIA slots working,
> >but the fan kicks into high gear and brings the system to a crawl. I've
> >been researching how to fix this - looks like a new DSDT should cure it.
> >

> What is DSDT?
>
> Maybe the CPU clock is slowed, along with the fans coming on, because
> the laptop /thinks/ it needs to flush out excessive heat.  Red Hat has
> the fan problem under certain conditions.  (Mandrake doesn't.)  If my
> Dell Inspiron 8100 is running Red Hat and using nVIDIA's video driver,
> after coming back from a suspend, the video might have a problem and the
> fans might come on at top rotational speed.  Actually, I think  the fan
> problem is independent of the video driver.  I think the fan problem
> started after upgrading the BIOS.  Dell is doing less work on supporting
> APM and more work to support ACPI while Red Hat has better support for
> the exact opposite.

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
chris.shank@acetechgroup.com