gabriel rosenkoetter on 15 Oct 2003 10:12:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] ftp over ssh

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 01:07:20AM -0400, Jon Nelson wrote:
> When using Putty I create a local port forward and try to ftp I can login,
> cd, put, get, but ls does not work.

I would need to know more about exactly what you set up for port
forwarding with PuTTY to be sure, but I expect your problem is that
you're opening only port 21, not also port 20. It doesn't matter
whether you're using passive or active FTP, it still insists on
using a separate control and data stream. For a good explanation,
see:

  http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

It's probably not worth the effort necessary to make passive ftp
work this way (you'll have to interpret the PORT P command sent
back by the server, and then add an encrypted stream on that port).

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:01:14AM -0400, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> Why not just use OpenSSH for Windows and then make use of sftp, which is
> exactly the functionality you're looking for?

PuTTY includes an sftp component these days, as well as an scp and
an ssh-agent component. For the whole suite, see:

  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:52:53AM -0400, Alex Birch wrote:
> What about winscp? I know it's drag and drop but it's nice.
> http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/

Its drag and drop is nice, if you like such things, but it's not
actually doing sftp, it's doing a full ssh stream and logging in
and down things like chmod and chown. That means it won't work with
stuff like rssh[1], and it's just architecturally unsound in any
case.

It also claims that it can't support SSH2 keys (only rsa1 ones,
which are inherently insecure since they force you into using SSH1,
which is inherently insecure), and doesn't know how to talk to any
sort of ssh-agent software. Both claims are bit silly, since the
newer versions of the libraries it's linking against for this stuff
do both of those things, but whatever. I've played with ixplorer[2]
as software to give my Windows users, which communicates well with
PuTTY's pageant, but its interface is a bit flaky (well, last time
I checked, anyway), and it's shareware.

In any case, if Jon wants a commandline like ncftp, none of these
things are going to make him very happy.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 09:10:26AM -0400, Mental Patient wrote:
> You sure you're in passive mode? It very well could be the firewall if a
> connection is trying to be made from the remote server back to you when
> you list files.

Yeah, passive mode definitely won't work without a lot of effort
(mostly because you don't know the port number for the data stream
port). Active mode will only work if you *also* tunnel the data
stream port.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net