Will Dyson on 15 Oct 2003 21:42:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] linux on a toshiba laptop

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 19:45, Erik Osheim wrote:

> Now I need to make some fundamental decisions about how to install
> linux. Here are the questions I've been mulling over, and which I'd
> like your opinions on:
>
> 1. What distro of linux (and what version)? -- I'm really unsure.
>
> 2. KDE, GNOME (or other? XFCE??)? -- I'm leaning toward GNOME on this
> one.

We've talked about distro's before, but I thought I'd point out
something that just occured to me. One of the benifits of going with a
major distro such as Mandrake or Suse is that she would be able to get
tech support from a variety of different sources, should you be
unavailable for some reason.

As far as desktop environments go, it is far too much an issue of
personal preference. I personally prefer Gnome (and a particular widget
theme) strongly. But time has taught me that my aesthetic sense isn't
exactly mainstream. What you need to do is find a way for her to try out
the various options.

Knoppix and Gnoppix are possible ways of doing this before any
installation takes place. But that does leave out XFCE4, which I have
heard good things about. So if there is sufficent space on the Toshiba's
disk, you might just install them all initially. Have her use the
GDM/KDM session chooser to log into and configure each one.

When she decides on her daily desktop, show her how to use the gui
package management tools to remove the other environments.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman