Kevin Brosius on 16 Oct 2003 12:48:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X server bpp 8

"W. Chris Shank" wrote:

> I'm trying to run rdesktop and it only runs in about 8 bit color. Anyone
> know how I can get this run a 16 bpp color map? here is what I get when
> I execute rdesktop:
>
> server bpp 8 client bpp 32 depth 24
>
> It seems my X server is only allowing 8 bpp.

Not quite enough info to help out...  What is your local xserver?
XFree86?  What depth is it running in?  It's really uncommon to run in
depth 8 today, unless you have a specific application that needs it.

Try this 'xdpyinfo | grep depth' and let us know what you get.

Since that's the output of rdesktop, you might check out their mailing
lists on sf.  They seem active, and the topmost message in the users
list is a similar problem about depth.  (Although he modified the source
code to get paste a depth 8 problem and ran into another.)

It's unclear to me what the rdesktop output means, unless you are really
running a depth 8 local xserver.  If that is the case, I'd suggest
starting the local xserver at depth 24 and seeing if that resolves the
problem.

--
Kevin Brosius