gabriel rosenkoetter on 16 Oct 2003 17:41:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X server bpp 8

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 02:47:36PM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> color depth but rdesktop message still comes up as 8 bpp.

This is completely an rdesktop configuration.

I've never touched it (I use the commercial Citrix Metaframe
client), but the default is definitely to run at a lower color depth
(on the premise that you're trying to make a remote machine behave
somewhat fast enough to be like using it locally). You should also
be able to control the encryption level and a few other things. I'd
check the man page.

> i was just hoping someone could tell me how i could edit however
> X autostarts.

That depends in no small part on your distribution.

As ep suggested, *some* distros run xdm from /etc/inittab, but not
all do. Probably a find -name \*xdm /etc will answer that question
if there's no entry for it in your inittab.

> I guess it's unnecessary if my default color depth is setin the
> config file.

You can probably set it higher than 16, though.

> Maybe i should be going down with the color depth instead of up?

Definitely not. rdesktop is talking aobut it's bit depth, not your X
servers, and the xdpyinfo output established that you're in 16 bit
mode already.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net