Magnus on 17 Oct 2003 18:42:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Transfer REALLY large file(s) between Linux and OS X

On Friday, October 17, 2003, at 06:06 PM, W. Chris Shank wrote:

I'm trying to move a 28G file from Linux to OS X. Transmit fails after
4G. scp fails after about the same. I'm trying to avoid cutting it up -
I already tried to make on 5.6G file - but that fails too (no surprise).
Unless I can take my 28G tarball and slice it into 7 4G pieces and
reassemble then on the other side. It just really bother me that it's
bombing at 4G. I assume because the file is being cached in RAM. Anyway
to force scp to incrementally write the file to disk?

Firstly, you may be hitting a filesystem limitation. I've not had to move anything bigger than ~2GB to OSX so I can't tell you off the top of my head. Linux of course has no problems with big files these days (though that wasn't always true).

Secondly moving a 28G file over scp is flat out insane. Why not use ftp?

If you are in a situation where you must encrypt the connection, you can try piping dd. Like:

	dd if=bigfingfile | ssh apple dd of=bigfingfile

But I wish to reiterate that moving big files over ssh is not advisable.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish