Tobias DiPasquale on 17 Oct 2003 18:51:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Transfer REALLY large file(s) between Linux and OS X

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 18:42, Magnus wrote:
> If you are in a situation where you must encrypt the connection, you
> can try piping dd.  Like:
>
> 	dd if=bigfingfile | ssh apple dd of=bigfingfile
>
> But I wish to reiterate that moving big files over ssh is not advisable.

This is basically what scp does, only without spawning multiple
processes. There's also no reason not to move a file that large over
scp, if time is not an critical factor. As for being "flat out insane",
its nothing of the sort and FTP wouldn't be all that much faster. Try it
sometime.

--
<< Tobias DiPasquale >>
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036