gabriel rosenkoetter on 18 Oct 2003 17:11:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Spam

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 03:52:58PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:51:12PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > Bummer.  Your turn to post a link.
> XXX

Whoops. I obviously forgot to come back and fill that in before
sending. There's nothing overtly labeled as Email::SpamTool in CPAN,
obviously, but the basic tools to webscrape addresses are there, and
minimal effort gets you the rest of the way.

Email::Find does basic address scraping. Extending it to ignore
HTML tags is trivial (say, with HTML::Parser), and extending it to
convert things like _AT_ before processing even more so.

I can't imagine anyone but a spammer having a real need for
Email::Valid (to save on wasted effort of sending email that's
going to bounce). Same goes for Email::Verp (though I guess legitimate
mailing lists would need that too, to track when people subscribe
from bouncing email addresses).

Though I don't think it's how they were intended, GetWeb and MailBot
could easily be used as a spam suite.

I was actually recalling something specifically designed to filter
email addresses out of garbage, but scanning the output of a i
/mail/ CPAN, I don't see it now. It may well have been pointed out
to me outside of CPAN.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net