Chris Hedemark on 20 Oct 2003 11:24:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Book Recommendation

On 20 Oct 2003, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:

> I already have O'Reilly book Essential CVS, but I would like to get some
> recommendations for the Unix Shell and Perl.
>
> This work would be done on an HP D380 with HP-UX 11

Which shell do you use?  There are many out there, and the book you pick
up will be largely a matter of preference.

Bourne shell is the most portable but perhaps the least capable.  zsh is
one of the most capable but even on Linux systems you'll end up needing to
install it, let alone on HP-UX.  If you're a competent C programmer you
might use csh or tcsh.  Sysadmins with primarily legacy UNIX backgrounds
may prefer ksh while those with Red Hat Linux backgrounds may prefer bash.

As for Perl, you need look no further than O'Reilly.  "Learning Perl" has
gotten more people started in Perl.  There is another one, I might have
the title slightly wrong, but it is like "Perl for System Administration"
(another O'Reilly book) that walks you through more practical applications
of perl in day to day system administration.  There is also a lot of free
documentation on the perl web site.

--Magnus