gabriel rosenkoetter on 23 Oct 2003 09:46:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] mail relay?

Aha. Well, regardless, it sure looks like two addresses (quincy@
and --quincy@) were spammed.

> Negative Batman.  I do have postmaster aliased to root and root to quincy.

Okay, good. And you never ever read email as root, either, right?

(That's a rhetorical question. And you're not the target of my
rhetoric.)

>  What I was saying was that the message generated and sent by my server
> was a bounce message being sent to the forged address.  Then the forged
> address replied to the bounce message with another bounce message.  If
> this is something I should see, I didn't.

Yes, postmaster@ should have received a bounce.

Does that email get spam filtered too? (Probably shouldn't be, since
that'd make it hard for people to report spam that appeared to come
from your domain to you in the Right way...)

Even if Postfix went to bounce again, it would have stopped itself,
recognizing a double-bounce, and notified you.

Oh, wait, what's your notify_classes setting? (See
http://www.postfix.org/basic.html#notify)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net