William H. Magill on 23 Oct 2003 23:02:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Wireless Hot Spots

On Thursday, October 23, 2003, at 01:08 PM, Kam Salisbury wrote:
Before I load up net stumbler and war walk the area, is anyone aware of
open access wireless 802.11b hot spots in the vicinity of 34th & Market St
or 36th & Walnut St in Philadelphia?

I do not think the starbucks at 34th & Walnut has wireless at all.

Last time I was there, that was true. I haven't checked since August, however.

However, there IS one on the 2nd floor above Starbucks, but unless
the transmitters and antenna has been goosed or moved over beside
the window they don't reach the ground. That building is an effective
Faraday cage.

For campus coverage see:

http://www.upenn.edu/computing/wireless/

I believe the maps only show the open "Campus wide" - "Wireless PennNet" -
coverage. They don't show the coverage "in" the individual schools
and similar buildings. These private Lans require MAC registration.
The "Wireless PennNet" locations do not, but they require you have
a PennID for access. One of those location is intended to cover the
"park" across the street from Cosi.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com