Kam Salisbury on 23 Oct 2003 15:25:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Wireless Hot Spots

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 01:08:46PM -0400, Kam Salisbury wrote:
>> Before I load up net stumbler and war walk the area, is anyone aware of
>> open access wireless 802.11b hot spots in the vicinity of 34th & Market
>> St
>> or 36th & Walnut St in Philadelphia?
>
> I was in the Penn Bookstore at 36th and Walnut a few months ago and
> was able to get on the wireless from the Cosi next door.  It's not
> free, but it's much less expensive than T-Mobile.  I think it was on
> the order of $5 for a 24 hour trial.
>
> Coverage was a bit spotty there.  I suspect it would have been much
> better if I'd actually been in Cosi. :)
>
>> I do not think the starbucks at 34th & Walnut has wireless at all.
>
> Hmm, I thought they all had T-Mobile these days...
>
> Walt

Thanks! I did not know about Cosi and must have some how missed it with
airsnort last time I drove by. Maybe I drove by too quickly or the
antennae was not properly situated at the time... it was a while ago.

I 'did' find a website that indexes wireless hot spots and in it were
several hotel lobbies as well as the Starbucks on South and the two others
toward market east. Cosi is not on the list nor is anything else in
University City.

Maybe if Santa brings me a GPS unit I will air snort the area again and
render some geographical plots.

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com