Kam Salisbury on 23 Oct 2003 15:44:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Job Posting

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 02:25:20PM -0400, Paul wrote:
-snip
> However I think you'd agree that these individuals would be in the
> minority, and would be best served by looking for work through other means
> than subscribing to PLUG.  While we've grown tolerant of job postings in
> the last year or so, PLUG isn't primarily an employment forum, and I don't
> think it's unreasonable to request that job postings be "on-topic".
>
> -mct
-snip

  Uh... the list FAQ at http://www.phillylinux.org/faq.html specifies "Job
postings related to, and mentioning, Linux, Unix or Open Source." as
being on topic. The post was listed OT for Off Topic, a subject heading
discussed previously this year on the list. I did not offer an opinion
at that time because I sometimes find something relevant or useful in
everyone's posts.

  I feel that at its core, PLUG is about a community of people who are
users of Linux and other UNIX like (POSIX compliant?) operating systems.
I also feel that toleration is a part of a community as well. Since the
plug list is not an actively moderated list (meaning that each and every
post must be approved via a moderator) you can only expect a larger
noise level that on a purely moderated list. Thus, the need for
toleration.

  Maybe... now is a great time to bring up the topic of yet another list?
plug-jobs? Maybe a cross-posted list with another job oriented and
geographically associated list?

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com