Rebecca Ore on 27 Oct 2003 17:33:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Sharing Latex document with Word users ?

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:40:28PM -0500, Art Alexion (arthur@alexion.com) wrote:
> Sandhitsu R Das wrote:
>
> >Thanks for all the suggestions. For now, the pdf solution works out the
> >best. I'm using pdflatex to generate a pdf in which he can make notes
> >inside Acrobat. However, he insists that refusing to use Word is silly
> >from a practical standpoint although he appreciates that it's mostly a
> >philosophical issue for me (not wanting to use MS software).
> >

> If that's all it was, what's wrong with using OpenOffice and saving as
> DOC.  The current version seems to handle all but the most complex Word
> formatting without too much ugliness (especially if you tune your
> compatibility options and use standard fonts).

How does one do this?  The one time I tried to comment on a student
paper, what Open Office saved wasn't readable by the student (saved back
to the student's floppy).  It would save me a huge amount of time over
all if students could make electronic submissions (Temple Blackboard has
a digital dropbox for this).  I thought that I had saved my comments as
a .doc file.

I have Open Office 1.0.2. on a RedHat-9 box.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore