kaze on 30 Oct 2003 15:00:03 -0500

RE: [PLUG] NIC driver installation howto? (newbieish level help needed)

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Branimir Vasilic
--> Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 1:00 AM
<snip>
--> can actually use it. What does mii-tool or ethtool tell you? Do
--> they also
--> report that the card is OK? I have had weird problems with
--> network cards on
--> SuSE 8.2. I had to switch off acpi (actually SuSE gives you an
--> install option
--> with acpi disabled but doesn't really explain when you would
--> need it). If
--> mii-tool or ethtool also say that everything is fine (NIC
--> working, connection
--> nagotiated or set correctly) try adding acpi=off in the append
--> = "...  line
--> of lilo.conf (if you are using lilo). Then run lilo as root and
--> reboot. I am
--> not familiar with GRUB but you can probably google for the
--> config file syntax
--> to do this.

I didn't get mii-tool or ethtool to return anything useful; I just found
these commands the other day when googling for answers on this stuff so
hadn't used them before, but all I got back was like a help menu showing
switches, so I figured the OS was unaware of the hardware's existence...

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Stephen Gran
--> Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 8:23 AM
--> To: PLUG listserv
<snip>
--> > The first NIC was a LNE-100TX (I have two of these.) On
<snip>
--> I don' tknow what driver this one uses off the top of my head, but let's
--> see . . . google says to use the stock tulip module from the kernel,
--> although there are many reports of problems (but all with the 2.2 series
--> kernel - don't know if that means it got better in 2.4, or if it stopped
--> suporting it)
-->
--> > Instead of wasting more time on that I tried a 3c905B card.
<snip>
--> Use the 3c509 kernel module for this card - i tdoes just fine.  When it
--> comes to drivers, I haven't needed to use vendor supplied kernel modules
--> for anything but the newest hardware in a long time.  If you have the
--> kernel source, a quick grep around in /usr/src/linux/Documentation
--> usually gives you at least a starting point, and then google can finish
--> from there.

This is what I thought, support is built into the kernel for these; that's
why when they didn't work I figured it was bad hardware and swapped.

--> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Art Clemons
--> Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 9:51 AM
--> > The first NIC was a LNE-100TX (I have two of these.) On
<snip>
--> Uh, this NIC normally runs under the tulip family, if it's not compiled
--> into the kernel, it's often supplied as a module (insmod tulip).  Of
--> course if your NIC is detected, then you might have to give it a little
--> help. For example what information does ifconfig eth0 give?  Unless

Will supply this with the next post.

--> you're getting your IP address assigned by dhcp, you might have to
--> assign an IP address that fits within the range of whatever you're
--> trying to reach with the NIC.

I'm using a static IP and triple checked that I have it configured right so
I'm 95% sure that's not the issue.

Is there a method to specify what the NIC is in the machine? A way to
specify that the tulip module be loaded and used by the NIC? I guess I'll
read up on tulip stuff.

I'll next be back at the console for this box on Wed of next week and will
attack it again then!

- Zake