Branimir Vasilic on 30 Oct 2003 15:14:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NIC driver installation howto? (newbieish level help needed)

> I didn't get mii-tool or ethtool to return anything useful; I just found
> these commands the other day when googling for answers on this stuff so
> hadn't used them before, but all I got back was like a help menu showing
> switches, so I figured the OS was unaware of the hardware's existence...

mii-tool should give you some information without any arguments. either that
the card is OK or not OK. You probably run ethtool. For ethtool you have to
specify the device: ethtool eth0. Some cards don't work well with mii-tool so
if you get an error with mii-tool try ethtool. If both give errors and the
module is loaded you might have a hardware problem.

> Is there a method to specify what the NIC is in the machine? A way to
> specify that the tulip module be loaded and used by the NIC? I guess I'll

Executing lsmod (as root) will give you a list of loaded modules. rmmod will
remove a module and insmod or modprobe will load a module. If you want to try
the tulip module rmmod the NIC module that is currently running (if any) and
than do insmod tulip. This should load the tulip module. When you figure out
which module you want to use you should change /etc/modules.conf which
describes modules to be loaded on startup.

   Brana