Paul on 6 Nov 2003 19:21:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NIC driver installation howto? (newbieish level help needed)

kaze wrote:

Since the last few comments seemed focused on IP networking configuration
does that mean the returns from ifconfig, ethtool, mii-tool, lsmod show the
card working? If the IP stuff is right maybe it's not a newbieish level
question...

I'm sure the problem is simple. The process needed to find the problem determines the difficulty level. If you could get to the computer it wouldn't be as difficult!

I noticed from an old post that the card is using IRQ 14. (Interrupt:14 Base address:0xd000) An IDE controller uses that IRQ. Maybe there's a conflict between the NIC and the IDE controller. Try "cat /proc/interrupts".

Also, ping claims that it is transmitting, but not receiveing. That seems to indicate that the NIC is functional. As mentioned before (I just tried these commands), "/sbin/ethtool eth0" and "/sbin/mii-tool" will provide useful info. Very cool commands.