Stephen Gran on 12 Nov 2003 15:02:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Mandrake/Debian (was: Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh!)

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 02:52:18PM -0500, eric@lucii.org said:
> Actually, today I've started to decommission this RH workstation and
> replace it with a dual boot Mandrake/Debian box.  RH is abandoning RH
> 9.0 early next year so I'll not going to spend any more time with it.
>
> I really like Mandrake 9.1!  I'm going to support Mandrake by joining
> the Mandrake Club.  Their update  process and urpmi work faultlessly.
>
> Bruce Perens yesterday called for a new, free,  "UserLinux" based on
> Debian.  I've heard enough from you Debian
> [fanatics|supporters|contributors|others] to motivate me to load it up.
> I have CDs of Debian 3.0r1.  If I install that I presume there is a
> "apt-get dist upgrade" (or something like that) to upgrade?

Almost exactly.  apt-get dist-upgrade, once you change your
sources.list.  I recommend staying with stable for a couple of
days/weeks/whatever, until you get a feel for how the system is laid out
- knowing where the various parts are stored is invaluable if something
breaks, and going to unstable is asking for something to break :)

Usually, after you change your sources.list to point to the new
distribution, the easiest way is to
apt-get update; apt-get install apt libc6

This gets you a smarter apt and the newer libc6.  This way the smarter
apt can try to handle changing dependency information better, and newer
programs that depend on functions only found in the newer libc6 don't
blow up.  There are always minor issues, but generally speaking, I have
found upgrades pretty seamless.

HTH, and enjoy,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Life -- Love It or Leave It.            |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |