Jason Costomiris on 21 Nov 2003 07:34:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Advice on printer purchase?

On Nov 21, 2003, at 6:25 AM, Rebecca Ore wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:36:30PM -0500, Mitch Maltenfort (mmalten@comcast.net) wrote:

Linux: Debian 'testing', kept up-to-date.

Hardware: IBM Thinkpad R32.

Needs: good quality text & some line art.

Asking for: advice on printer models that will cost me a minimum of grief
to get working with my system.

If it has a USB port, I can recommend the HP 1012. Call it an HP Laserjet 5L when installing the filter if you're using CUPS, if I remember my installation correctly. It is small, prints circa 14 pages a minute, and has 8 MB RAM memory. And eats lower quality paper than the 5L I had for since 1997.

Around $240 with USB cable from Staples.  I prefer lasers for printing
text and it should do acceptable line art.

Those printers aren't bad. Personally, I prefer my solution, 2 printers networked.

HP LaserJet 2100M w/JetDirect card
HP DeskJet 5550 w/Wireless JetDirect module

Both JetDirects support LPR, socket (9100), IPP, a host of network protocols (TCP/IP, AppleTalk, DLC, IPX), even mDNS (Rendezvous), which makes it nice and simple to setup the Macs. The wireless JetDirect (the 380x) even supports WPA.

-- Jason Costomiris <>< E: jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org / W: http://www.jasons.org/ 186,000 miles per second. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.