Paul on 21 Nov 2003 12:29:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] more books to review

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 09:23:07PM -0500, Paul wrote:

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

We've received two copies of Lee Barken's book "How Secure is your
Wireless Network?  Safeguarding your Wi-Fi LAN"

I'd like to look at one of those books. Does the book lean toward the Window$ side of the equation?

Not hugely, to my surprise. The first half of the book is about networks, not about hosts. Later they talk about some specific scenarios, including linux. But you would have to come to terms with owning a book with MS screenshots in it, since one chapter details how to set up a 802.11* on a Win2000 server.

That sounds perfect. I expected to see Window$ in the book. Having GNU/Linux in it is luxury. I'm guessing that the book also contains Mac OS info. Those three would cover the OSes of "regular" computer users. I'm just glad the entire book doesn't use Window$ to illustrate security issues.