Alex Birch on 25 Nov 2003 09:29:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] XML, text, and the development of unix

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
That's a pretty poor example, since it involves you simply not
knowing the syntax of the language. It's just as easy (if not
easier, since there's way more syntax to know) to make that same
mistake with XML.

Please show me an example where seeing in XML where there is a difference between a tab or a space? Or that where I could copy something from a book where it works-- having look exactly the same-- but have it not work with Ant.

With XML at least I can SEE the difference.

After this discussion I have thought about starting x utilities for xml.

That sounds like an interesting idea.

Shouldn't it really be block-centric (as in, between close and open
tags of the same type), since newlines aren't meaningful in XML?
If so, you'll also need a way to specify how many blocks out from
the matched text you'd like to see data (this shouldn't be hard;
default to 1, -N for more; functionality similar to GNU grep's -C,
-A, and -B).

What I was thinking is just a thin wrapper and know when you're inside a tag. Then just return the tag.

I said line-centric; I meant tag-centric.

What other traditional tools would be nice? xsed? xgrep?