Gregson Helledy on 25 Nov 2003 10:17:02 -0500

[PLUG] Missing 'usbcore' module

Hi,
I have been using my Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 with my system,
 which is Libranet 2.0 updated with Debian stable (yes,
 it's at 3.0r2).
I didn't use the Zaurus for a few weeks, during which the
 battery went dead.  Last night, I tried to sync it, and
 my computer couldn't find the Zaurus.

 After rebooting both machines without solving the problem,
 I looked at the syslog.  I suspect a module isn't getting
 loaded, but can't figure out why that
 could be.  I think this is the key part of the syslog:

Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy syslogd 1.4.1#10: restart.
Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usbcore for USB product
0/0/0
Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore
Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: missing kernel or user mode
driver usbcore
Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usbcore for USB product
0/0/0
Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore
Nov 25 08:16:25 sleepy /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: missing kernel or user mode
driver usbcore

Now, when I recompiled the kernel (had to patch the source to
use the Zaurus in 2.4.18), I did compile in basic usb support.  So my real
questions are:

*'usb' and 'usbcore' are separate?  Basic usb functionality does work
 (I put in my usb keychain, the usb storage module loads, and it works)

*I know that the Zaurus does require 'usbcore' in order to work. Can't
load it manually, either:
root@sleepy:/var/log# modprobe usbcore
modprobe: Can't locate module usbcore

I did run update-modules, (and rebooted), but this didn't do the trick.
If 'usbcore' is a separate module, how might I go about getting it back?

Thanks,

Greg

Here is the usb section of the saved config file from the compile:
#
# USB support
#
CONFIG_USB=y
# CONFIG_USB_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_DEVICEFS=y
# CONFIG_USB_BANDWIDTH is not set
# CONFIG_USB_LONG_TIMEOUT is not set
CONFIG_USB_UHCI=y
# CONFIG_USB_UHCI_ALT is not set
CONFIG_USB_OHCI=y
CONFIG_USB_AUDIO=m
CONFIG_USB_BLUETOOTH=m
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE=m
# CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DATAFAB=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_FREECOM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_ISD200=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DPCM=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_HP8200e=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_SDDR09=y
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_JUMPSHOT=y
CONFIG_USB_ACM=m
CONFIG_USB_PRINTER=m
CONFIG_USB_HID=y
# CONFIG_USB_HIDDEV is not set
CONFIG_USB_WACOM=m
CONFIG_USB_DC2XX=m
CONFIG_USB_MDC800=m
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER=m
CONFIG_USB_MICROTEK=m
CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI=m
CONFIG_USB_IBMCAM=m
CONFIG_USB_OV511=m
CONFIG_USB_PWC=m
CONFIG_USB_SE401=m
CONFIG_USB_STV680=m
CONFIG_USB_VICAM=m
CONFIG_USB_DSBR=m
CONFIG_USB_DABUSB=m
CONFIG_USB_PEGASUS=m
CONFIG_USB_KAWETH=m
CONFIG_USB_CATC=m
CONFIG_USB_CDCETHER=m
CONFIG_USB_USBNET=m
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET=m
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_VENDOR=04dd
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_PRODUCT=8004
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_CLASS=0000
CONFIG_USB_USBDNET_SUBCLASS=0000
CONFIG_USB_USS720=m

The USBDNET stuff at the end is what the patch added, and the
VENDOR/PRODUCT lines are correct.  Here are the loaded modules:

root@sleepy:/var/log# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
acm                     5184   0  (unused)
usbdnet                13160   1
NVdriver              945504  10  (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2848   3  (autoclean)
nls_cp437               4384   3  (autoclean)
analog                  7488   0  (unused)
joydev                  6784   0  (unused)
apm                     9276   0
ne2k-pci                5056   1
8390                    6016   0  [ne2k-pci]
smbfs                  32160   2
printer                 5600   0
ide-cd                 26656   0
sr_mod                 13144   0  (unused)
cdrom                  28960   0  [ide-cd sr_mod]
rtc                     5592   0  (autoclean)
es1371                 27072   0
soundcore               3588   4  [es1371]
ac97_codec              9696   0  [es1371]
gameport                1548   0  [analog es1371]
ide-scsi                7648   0
scsi_mod               50396   2  [sr_mod ide-scsi]
parport_pc             14756   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6080   0  (autoclean)
parport                23264   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

--
Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
and notify GRA, Inc. (postmaster@gra-inc.com) immediately. Please advise