kmhryhpdblyx on 25 Nov 2003 10:43:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] XML, text, and the development of unix

At 09:03 AM 11/25/2003, you wrote:
On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 07:25:28AM -0500, Alex Birch wrote:
> I think Makefile is a good example of how XML simplifies life. We can
> compare Makefile versus Ant for a while. I know that I lost a lot of
> time because I was using a spaced instead of tabs for my first make file.

That's a pretty poor example, since it involves you simply not
knowing the syntax of the language. It's just as easy (if not
easier, since there's way more syntax to know) to make that same
mistake with XML.

I think it's a perfect example. You can learn XML once and you can then understand the basic syntax of any XML file as opposed to having to learn the syntax of every application you want to use.

I'm in the camp that thinks XML simplifies life. The hard part of reading the XML file has already been done by the parser. My application just needs to know how to call the parser. Learn it once and your're done.

--
Jim Foster - jif "at" computer .org
"Being on a Beemer and not having a wave returned by a ICQ 679709