gabriel rosenkoetter on 28 Nov 2003 12:54:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Severe Bug in GnuPG

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:57:21AM -0500, David Shaw wrote:
> Possibly.  I'm not sure where the 20 came from, but it might have been
> because the faulty key type is 20 (RSA is 1, DSA is 17, the safe
> Elgamal is 16).

Must be. Unfortunately, I've deleted the message I was reading from,
so...

> Still, 848 keys is only around 0.04% of all keys on the keyservers.

Wow. Didn't realize there were that many keys out there. I'd say
that's a good sign for PGP penetration, but there are probably way
fewer unique and active users of PGP than that.

> This is a serious security failure, to be sure, but at the same time,
> there were a lot of roadblocks placed in front of people using these
> keys.

And yet, people did anyway. Do you suppose this was a "I always push
the button that says don't push this button" reaction, or did people
really think they were getting something with ElGamal?

I mean, we've known that a secure implementation of ElGamal for
signing was really difficult for quite a while now, and that signing
and encrypting with the same key, no matter the algorithm, was a horrible
idea, and that only GnuPG even bothers to support ElGamal. The mind
boggles at who would take advantage of the feature for anything
other than play...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net