Tom Diehl on 30 Nov 2003 10:03:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: What Does "Install" Really Mean

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Paul wrote:

> Jeb Bushell wrote:
>
> >rpm -e <pkg>
> >error: package <pkg> is not installed
> >
> >rpm -ivh <pkg>
> >Preparing ############################# [100%]
> >Package <pkg> is already installed
> >
> >rpm -q <pkg>
> >package is not installed
> >
> >Can anyone shed some light, please?
> >

> RPM is confused.  Try the following:
>
> (Leave off the .rpm when querying for a package.)
>
> rpm -qa |grep <pkg>
>
> (Use the upgrade option instead of the install option.)
>
> rpm -Uvh <pkg>

If you just want to upgrade a package you could also use -Fvh.

You might also want to look at yum or apt-rpm. They make dep resolution
much easier.

> (In the next command I am trying something like --force or --nodeps to
> insist on having the package installed.  I don't do this often so I'm
> not 100% sure about those options.  Use with care.)
>
> rpm --nodeps -Uvh <pkg>

DO NOT DO THIS!! --nodeps and --force are there for some very specific
situations. If someone has to explain what they are you do NOT need them.

They will in most cases cause greif if used. Do it the right way and satisfy
the deps. that is why rpm has them so that all of the components get properly
installed.

HTH,