Paul on 30 Nov 2003 18:14:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: What Does "Install" Really Mean

Tom Diehl wrote:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Paul wrote:

(In the next command I am trying something like --force or --nodeps to insist on having the package installed. I don't do this often so I'm not 100% sure about those options. Use with care.)

rpm --nodeps -Uvh <pkg>

DO NOT DO THIS!! --nodeps and --force are there for some very specific situations. If someone has to explain what they are you do NOT need them.

They will in most cases cause greif if used. Do it the right way and satisfy
the deps. that is why rpm has them so that all of the components get properly
installed.

Like I said, sometime RPM gets confused. By forcing a package to be installed with --nodeps then removing the package, sometimes that resolves the problem and allows the package to be installed the usual way. I should have added that to my last message.