Jesse Huestis on 4 Dec 2003 07:28:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ports needed to use Samba or MS networking functions

Thanks for the log monitoring idea. That will give me some data. I ma using WPA for exernal security. I have also made it so only the IP range I have assigned can access the Internet and all others get know access. It should frustrate a hacker and have them try elsewhere since there are open WI-FI LAN around I have identified using Netstumbler.

We have temp. shared a local printer for the wireless folks to use.

Any other ideas as to the ports, please keep it coming.

Thanks,

Jesse

Paul wrote:

Michael C. Toren wrote:

A third option, and the one I would strongly recommend, would be to
implement a VPN server, and require wireless users who wish to access
your internal network to first establish a VPN connection.

The use of WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) sounds like another good alternative if the hardware supports it.