Will Dyson on 5 Dec 2003 01:32:05 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian - GNOME seems to have disappeared ...

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 23:16, Michael Leone wrote:

> Up comes the GNOME splash screen (v2.4). Then ... nothing. Blank blue
> screen. :-) Almost as if there was no WM to be executed. Not even a
> mouse pointer. I have to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE out of X entirely.

> Pointers, anyone? While I prefer KDE, I do occasionally like the GNOME
> way.

Can you exec metacity? How about straceing gnome-session to see what it
was doing?

Anyway, I'm actualy not clear on how gnome-session decides what wm to
start. There doesn't seem to be a control panel applet for it. Here is
my best guess:

Via the /desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/default gconf key.

You can run gconf-editor to edit the key or edit
~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/applications/window_manager/%gconf.xml directly.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman