Martin DiViaio on 5 Dec 2003 08:45:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian - GNOME seems to have disappeared ...

[...]

On the 4th day of December in the year 2003 you wrote:

> Up comes the GNOME splash screen (v2.4). Then ... nothing. Blank blue
> screen. :-) Almost as if there was no WM to be executed. Not even a
> mouse pointer. I have to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE out of X entirely.

startx > .xerrors 2>&1

When you exit X check the .xerrors file for where the window manager
(probably metacity) is failing.

> Way back in the day, I know you could kick up the GNOME Control Center
> by executing "gnomecc", and choose a WM there, but apparently that
> doesn't exist anymore.

The Control Center is now just a link in Nautilus.

The WM selection app was removed from Gnome 2. The developers are fighting
requests to return it. The only current way to change window managers in
Gnome2 is to kill the current wm and start the new one from a command
prompt. (Check the Gnome mailing lists for details.)