Michael Leone on 6 Dec 2003 19:53:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian - GNOME seems to have disappeared ...

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 08:43, Martin DiViaio wrote:

> > Way back in the day, I know you could kick up the GNOME Control Center
> > by executing "gnomecc", and choose a WM there, but apparently that
> > doesn't exist anymore.
>
> The Control Center is now just a link in Nautilus.

Apparently, I don't have nautilus installed. So I go to install it ..

  abiword-gnome acme asnparser at-spi blt blt-common blt-demo bluefish
  bug-buddy calctool cdda2wav cdparanoia cdrecord cdrtools-doc deborphan
  desktop-base dia-common dia-gnome eog epiphany-browser fam festival
  festlex-oald festlex-poslex festvox-don file-roller gda2-freetds
  gda2-mysql gda2-odbc gda2-postgres gda2-sqlite gdb gdm gedit gksu
gnome
  gnome-about gnome-accessibility-themes gnome-applets gnome-core
  gnome-desktop-environment gnome-games gnome-gv gnome-icon-theme
gnome-mag
  gnome-media gnome-office gnome-panel gnome-panel-data
  gnome-system-monitor gnome-terminal gnome-themes gnome-themes-common
  gnome-utils gnome-vfs-extras2 gnomemeeting gnopernicus gnucash
  gnucash-docs gnumeric gnumeric-doc gnumeric-plugins-extra gok gok-doc
  gpdf gstreamer-a52dec gstreamer-aa gstreamer-alsa gstreamer-arts
  gstreamer-artsd gstreamer-audiofile gstreamer-cdparanoia
  gstreamer-colorspace gstreamer-dv gstreamer-dvd gstreamer-esd
  gstreamer-festival gstreamer-flac gstreamer-gconf gstreamer-gnomevfs
  gstreamer-gsm gstreamer-http gstreamer-jack gstreamer-jpeg
gstreamer-mad
  gstreamer-mikmod gstreamer-misc gstreamer-mpeg2dec gstreamer-oss
  gstreamer-plugin-apps gstreamer-plugin-libs gstreamer-plugins
  gstreamer-sdl gstreamer-sid gstreamer-swfdec gstreamer-tools
  gstreamer-vorbis gstreamer-x gtk2-engines-crux
  gtk2-engines-lighthouseblue gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk2-engines-redmond95
  gtk2-engines-thinice gucharmap guile-1.6 guile-1.6-doc guile-1.6-slib
  hermes1 lha liba52-0.7.4 libatspi1.0-0 libbrlapi libct1 libdv-bin
libdv2
  libdvdcss2 libdvdnav4 libdvdread3 libestools1.2c102
libfinance-quote-perl
  libflac4 libgail-gnome-module libgda2-1 libgda2-common libgnome-mag1
  libgnome-perl libgnome-speech2 libgnomedb2-3 libgnomedb2-common
  libgsf-gnome-1 libgstreamer0.6-0 libgtk-imlib-perl
  libgtksourceview-common libgtksourceview1.0-0 libgtkxmhtml-perl
  libgwrapguile1 libid3tag0 libjack0.71.2-0 libldap2-dev libmpeg2-3
  libmrproject0 libmyodbc libofx0c102 libopenh323-1.12.2 libopenh323-dev
  libosp4 libpq3 libpt-1.5.2 libpt-dev libraw1394-5 libsdl1.2-dev
  libsqlite0 libswfdec0 lzop mergeant mergeant-doc mkisofs mrproject
  nautilus nautilus-cd-burner nautilus-data nautilus-gtkhtml
nautilus-media
  netspeed odbc-postgresql odbcinst1 pgdocs-pdf postgresql-client
  postgresql-doc python-doc python-egenix-mxdatetime python-gtk2
  python-imaging python-imaging-doc python-imaging-doc-html
  python-imaging-doc-pdf python-imaging-tk python-numeric
  python-numeric-tutorial python2.3-egenix-mxdatetime
  python2.3-egenix-mxtools python2.3-gtk2 python2.3-imaging
  python2.3-imaging-tk python2.3-numeric python2.3-tk rhythmbox
sharutils
  slib sodipodi synaptic tix8.1 unixodbc unrar xcdroast xml-core yelp
  zenity
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  abiword gman nautilus2-data
0 packages upgraded, 198 newly installed, 3 to remove and 4 not
upgraded.
Need to get 113MB of archives. After unpacking 368MB will be used.

:-)

That's one HECK of a lot of packages to install. Maybe I'll do it
tonight ...

Probably that's why GNOME doesn't finish coming up.