Paul on 8 Dec 2003 14:52:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Ports needed to use Samba or MS networking functions

Jesse Huestis wrote:

They are all WinXP workstations. What was very cool was, when I typed in the IP address when adding a printer on the remote system, the printers share name popped up. So there is information exchange. I think what is happening is, that since the computers are on a different subnet, browser elections are not held amoung including the one remote computer and, the computer registration is not propigated with the information to browse.

That's it. And using the lmhosts file to resolve names to IPs will allow you to browse the shares.