Kam Salisbury on 11 Dec 2003 18:58:02 -0500

[PLUG] Here is how you get LPI certified...

(Posted with the goal of educating and publicizing an opportunity related to
Linux, Linux Education and Linux Certification.)

Step 1, Go to
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/views/linux/tutorials.jsp and take
advantage of IBM's free tutorials for the Linux Professional Institute (LPI)
certification 101 & 102 series.

Step 2, Go to http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldny/V40/index.cvn
BEFORE December 19th and register for the free expo only pass. (Otherwise
you pay $30 at the door of the event)

Step 3, Be sure you figure out how to get to the Linux World Expo in New
York during the days of the expo. Please note
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/linuxworldny/V40/index.cvn?id=10014&p_navID=7
that the expo portion runs January 21st through 23rd.

Step 4, Check out http://www.lpi.org/ (particularly their FAQ) and maybe
even visit your favorite book retailer for a study text. Definitely review
the topic areas for the exam and study-study-study-try things out on your
Linux box-study-study.
***BE SURE TO REGISTER FOR YOUR EXAM BEFORE THE EXPO DATE. When you register
you will get an LPI id number to take the exam with.

Step 5, Arrive on time for your exam. Be nice to Wilma if she is there (it
is because of people such as her that the LPI even exists) and do well on
your exam.

Please note:

- I have seen FREE exam seats go unused the last three years I have attended
the Linux Expo! Those seats are gratis because of great support from
companies who have commitments to Linux and Open Source in general.

- I have see people arrive at the door and register for the exam on the
spot. Though this is not the norm, the point is that the LPI folks are super
nice and make the effort to accommodate people if they can.

- Maybe contact one of the exhibitors and offer to help staff their booth? I
remember meeting the great guy(s) that created and maintain www.oswd.org (a
site many people lacking web design skills, such as myself, visit often)

--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com