gabriel rosenkoetter on 11 Dec 2003 19:13:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Thoughts on creating a virtual file system

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:29:29PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:22:37PM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > It's way more expensive to transfer files new with rsync than it is
> > to transfer a single compressed file that's curret, make chances,
> > then rsync the changes back.
> Rsyncing back the changes is much *cheaper*, since you only have to
> send back the differences.  If you're rsyncing a compressed file,
> chances are you're going to have to transfer the entire file.

I think you misunderstand what I'm suggestiong, though I could be
misunderstanding the original intention.

I'm suggesting that you've got a file system, /work, at home. You've
got some cron job that runs while you're asleep and creates
/work.img.gz. The next day, you show up in the computer lab/at your
contract employers/whatever, and you scp home:/work.img.gz down. You
uncompress and mount that. You do some work. You do an rsync /work
home:/work. You rm /work.img.

If you were to have /work in both places and rsync reciprically,
you'd only get the speed bonus if you always left files in both
places: maybe you don't want to.

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 01:58:28PM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> It is when they cancel your contract while you're not onsite. And now you've
> left files there, with no way of retreival. If you do this virtual file
> system thing on a USB flash drive on your keychain, you take copies of all
> your information, notes, etc, whenever you leave the rpemises. And it's more
> portable than a CD, requires no burner hardware, etc.

Of course, if you're going to be using a USB mass storage device,
there's only call for the virtual file system component if you want
to have more data stored there than there's space in the device (and
even then, you're sort of counting that it will forever compress to
be small enough to fit).

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:43:18PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I have a couple old drives that I'm probably going to take a hammer to

It strikes me that a magnet would probably be sufficient... ;^>

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 03:20:57PM -0500, Dayton Gray wrote:
> A hammer is a much better method as it allows one to let out anger about
> horrible ISP tech support staff and mysterious network issues.

I think baseball bats and fax machines are more appropriate for that
purpose.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net