gabriel rosenkoetter on 11 Dec 2003 19:13:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] network security thoughts/questions

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 02:38:01PM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> Another suggestions (pardon my top quoting) is to use OpenVPN:
>
>     http://openvpn.sourceforge.net/
>
> Anyone have any experience?  It looks quite good and unobtrusive,
> except that everyone has to install extra software.

Is there any reason not to just use existing, kernel-layer IPsec
implementations?

I mean, "VPN" means "stupid GUI interface atop questionably-
implemented IPsec" in my world. I'd much rather just use the KAME
implementation in my kernel, thanks. (Note that you're probably not
running the right OS to use a KAME implementation, of course. But
FreeSWAN almost works right.)

Why, me, bitter about the poor implementations of crypto software
that it's really just not hard to do right getting pushed at the
general public? Nah...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net