Rob Carlson on 20 Dec 2003 08:59:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: Distro

Slackware.

Try: "Gentoo".

Also no X-based install but is just as (if not more) flexible than
Slackware and generates much faster code, since the system is compiled
by you and tailored to your hardware. You can also make binary packages
a la BSD/Debian for installation onto many machines. Also, no problems
with RPM, either.

Just how _much_ faster I find debatable. There is a speed difference I guess, but not one I find appreciable. I've tried Gentoo and I don't like waiting an hour (on cable) for an optimized compile in every case. Here's a fun trick. If you don't have gnome on your shiny new Gentoo system, do "emerge gaim". You'll have a slickly optimized gaim sometime tomorrow (again, on cable).

<It's also the most BSD-like of the linuxes (no SysV=20
stuff, i.e. run levels unless you put them there).

Being more BSD-like is not necessarily a boon. Run levels are a way of
life, just as rc.[boot|shutdown] is for BSD. Neither is better than the
other; they're just different.

True, but I find run levels a hassle if I want to deal wtih X. I find it an unnecessary level of abstraction.

As well, Gentoo is rock solid and doesn't have any problems with PAM.

Slack doesn't either, it just doesn't come with it. Usually people have no need for it. I only required it for a specific LDAP implementation.

Gentoo is what Slackware wishes it was.

Hardly. Slackware is simple and easy to administer. Like your BSD argument, it's just different. It comes down to this-- you can have have a uber-optimized system that takes days to optimize a system, and hours to optimize programs. Or you can have a pretty quick system that you can configure and install in a snap. The milliseconds I gain from daily use of a Gentoo system don't justify the endless waiting for optimization.

My 2 cents.  To each his own.