sean finney on 20 Dec 2003 12:56:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Distro

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 08:58:24AM -0500, Rob Carlson wrote:
> Just how _much_ faster I find debatable.  There is a speed difference I
> guess, but not one I find appreciable.   I've tried Gentoo and I don't like
> waiting an hour (on cable) for an optimized compile in every case.   Here's
> a fun trick.  If you don't have gnome on your shiny new Gentoo system, do
> "emerge gaim".  You'll have a slickly optimized gaim sometime tomorrow
> (again, on cable).

so does slackware bring in all the dependencies that gaim would need?
i don't see how that would be much faster with slackware otherwise,
because you'd have to not only compile everything just the same, but
you'd have to go out and download all of the dependencies and compile
them (and the same for their dependencies).

> True, but I find run levels a hassle if I want to deal wtih X.  I find it
> an unnecessary level of abstraction.

i won't argue that.  sysv has its uses, but it's sometimes an ugly
hack that can be done without.

> Hardly.  Slackware is simple and easy to administer.  Like your BSD

easy to administer, but how easy is it to keep up to date?  doesn't the
same lack of package management put more of a burden on the
administrator to keep up to date with security related information?

	sean