Eric MacAdie on 20 Dec 2003 13:36:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Distro suggestion?

Rob Carlson wrote:

Slackware.

You don't have the X-GUI for install (it's straight ncurses), but it allows you the most flexiblity to tailor your system the way _you_ want. Because the slackware packages are just tarballs with scripts, you don't have to worry about an RPM database when you decide to compile something on your own.

I went through 6 distros in about 4 months 3 years ago. I finally loaded a Slackware snapshot and there I've stayed. Slack is good for what it doesn't do-- i.e. assume what settings you need, and what programs and services you need running by default. And if you want to run it as a server, it's rock solid and simple (unless you want PAM, and that's doable). It's also the most BSD-like of the linuxes (no SysV stuff, i.e. run levels unless you put them there).

So, Slackware is simple, stable and stays out of your way. That's why I recommend it most highly.

Rob Carlson

So how does Slackware handle dependencies? What is the equivalent of apt or rpm? Can you upgrade, or do you need to do a full reinstall?

EKMacAdie
http://www.shellfspace.net
Promoting Linux and BSD for desktop use in e-commerce