Art Clemons on 20 Dec 2003 17:00:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: Distro

seanius@seanius.net:
so does slackware bring in all the dependencies that gaim would need?
i don't see how that would be much faster with slackware otherwise,
because you'd have to not only compile everything just the same, but
you'd have to go out and download all of the dependencies and compile
them (and the same for their dependencies).

\
Actually, it's not quite that bad with Slackware since Gaim is available in the current directory already compiled and ready to roll. Further, folks are even warned to download the Mozilla 1.4.1 . Alternatively there's http://linuxpackages.net which has many pre-compiled packages for Slackware.

True, but I find run levels a hassle if I want to deal wtih X. I find it an unnecessary level of abstraction.

i won't argue that. sysv has its uses, but it's sometimes an ugly
hack that can be done without.

Hardly. Slackware is simple and easy to administer. Like your BSD

easy to administer, but how easy is it to keep up to date?  doesn't the
same lack of package management put more of a burden on the
administrator to keep up to date with security related information?

There are several choices with slackware, there's the upgradepkg route if you obtain the necessary files, then type upgradepkg foobar1.tgz if foobar.tgz isn't installed it doesn't upgrade. There is also a setup called swaret which after minor configuration will seek out a server and find all of the packages on a Slackware system that need to be updated, then allow you to choose whether or not to upgrade the packages. Finally there's slapt/slapt-get which is basically a version of apt for slackware. Slackware does have packages and it has one directory where a list of packages and all that is installed with the package is listed so it's not as difficult as you imagine, it's just different. I'm another slackware user incidentally.