Jeff Abrahamson on 28 Dec 2003 10:41:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] linux hard drive troubles

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 09:42:54AM -0500, Michael Lazin wrote:
>   [12 lines, 104 words, 757 characters]  Top characters: _intearo
>
> I got a new ultra ATA 133 40 gig hard drive for Christmas and I tried
> putting it in a pentium II machine running redhat 9.  I used fdisk to
> create a partition for it and makefs to create a filesystem but when I
> did df -h /dev/hdb it said I only had about 3 gigs on the drive.  Do I
> need a controller card to use this hard drive on this system?  If so,
> can anyone recommend an inexpensive controller card for this drive that
> will work with linux?

You have a controller card if you can interact with it at all.

fdisk is pretty low level, you might try cfdisk instead.  From the
fdisk(8) man page:

BUGS
       There  are  several  *fdisk programs around.  Each has its problems and
       strengths.  Try them in the  order  cfdisk,  fdisk,  sfdisk.   (Indeed,
       cfdisk  is a beautiful program that has strict requirements on the par-
       tition tables it accepts, and produces high quality  partition  tables.
       Use  it  if you can.  fdisk is a buggy program that does fuzzy things -
       usually it happens to produce reasonable results. Its single  advantage
       is  that it has some support for BSD disk labels and other non-DOS par-
       tition tables.  Avoid it if you can.  sfdisk is for hackers only -  the
       user  interface is terrible, but it is more correct than fdisk and more
       powerful than both fdisk and cfdisk.  Moreover, it can be  used  nonin-
       teractively.)

If you have no data on the drive yet, repartitioning with cfdisk is
the fastest and easiest way to at least ensure that it's not a goofy
partitioning error.

If it still doesn't work, I'm not sure.  The old BIOS problems about
seeing larger disks shouldn't affect anything but booting.  Maybe send
us a printout of the partition table and the output of df -h and df -P
(with no disk arguments).

BTW, did you check that there's no other /dev/hdb*?

--
 Jeff