Paul on 28 Dec 2003 14:14:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Can't access part of Linux Share

Jesse Huestis wrote:

I have a share which hangs up when I drill down to a directory which has let say 4,000 photo files.
I do have a backup of about 95% of the files, but I was hoping someone has a suggestion on how to run recovery tools to enable me to access this share.

Notes:  I can access it from the Linux box, but it is very, very slow.

When I run free -m I only have 7 megs free

Red  Hat 7.2

Hmmm, I just checked again and the remote computer opened the dir after over 1 hour.
I was currios what can be done.

If you have a file preview feature in your file manager and you are using it, stop using it.

What happens in a terminal if you "cd" to the directory and "ls -l" a specific file name?

How much swap does "free -m" tell you is being used?