W. Chris Shank on 2 Jan 2004 14:48:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux Business Forum, again...

You are right and this is something that I've thought about. Which is
why I don't know if the group will be public or private, particularly
the communications. However, there are many trade associations for other
industries. These associations come together to discuss things that are
happening in the industry, things that have helped them to be
successful, etc. But yes, you will be meeting with your competitors.
What has to happen is that we rise to a higher level of co-opetition. I
don't know if it's possible to accomplish. But I do know that I've been
more successful partnering with my competition that I have been trying
to avoid or undermine them. If my competition is successful, it's brings
more business opportunity to this space. Besides, I think the Linux
space is still new enough that the established players don't have a lock
on it (meaning the businesses who are now pushing MS solutions) and
there is plenty of business to go around (for now). By cooperating we
can expand the visibility of our solutions and be able to offer "backup
plans" to our clients. Being able to give your client a list of
companies that can take over for you should you fold goes a long way to
assuring them when making a sale. It's up the other companies on the
list to not scab your business should someone try to end-run around you.
Which is why I choose the businesses on my list carefully.

Bottom line: this forum may not be for everyone. you may choose to
strategically withhold information which you deem a competitive
advantage. you may learn from the past mistakes of other members, you
may not. you may find other business with which you want to partner to
offer a better solution than either of you could have on your own, or
you may not. you may find the group worthwhile, or you may not.

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 03:00, Paul wrote:
> One thought that comes to mind is another contrast between your forum
> concept and PLUG.  PLUG is cooperative and not profit oriented.
> Businesses are usually the exact opposite.  Why would successful
> companies or consultants want to reveal secrets to competitors?

W. Chris Shank
ACE Technology Group, LLC
http://www.acetechgroup.com
(610) 647-1055