Kevin Brosius on 5 Jan 2004 23:58:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Kernel 2.6.0

Rob wrote:
> I'm currently running Slack-Current (9.1) on a Dell
> dimension (P4, all IDE Drives, one CD, one CD R/W) and am
> having trouble getting 2.6.0 to load. Upon bootup I get a
> Kernel panic after receiving an "unable to mount fs"
> message. I've verified that I have all IDE and file system
> components loaded in the kernel, but to no avail.
>
> Some people have suggested online that initrd is needed. Is
> this the case? I thought for newer (read: less than 5 years
> old) machines initrd is largely unnecessary. Does anyone
> have any insight on this problem, or even some tips on
> building a 2.6 kernel?

No, initrd is not required as long as the root filesystem is built-in
and not a module.  Have you re-run lilo after copying the new kernel
onto your boot partition?  Are you using lilo?  Do you have any other
items you need built as modules?  This shouldn't matter for the error
you are seeing, however if you do use any modules you need to update
module-utils to use the new module loader in 2.6.x kernels.

--
Kevin