mjd-lists-plug on 9 Jan 2004 07:54:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] changing stdout in a script

sean finney <seanius@seanius.net>:

> --cNdxnHkX5QqsyA0e
>
> On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:46:52PM -0500, Mark Dominus wrote:
> > 'script' is mainly for recording interactive sessions and other
> > conversations that require a terminal.
>
> and what you'd really want to use in such a situation is nohup(1),

I don't think so.  'nohup' is just as useless for recording
interactive sessions as redirecting the session to a file would be,
because that is what it does.  It is useless because the prompts and
by the user who needs to receive them.

Although recent versions of 'nohup' automatically save the command
output to a file, that is a relatively recent (and, in my opinion,
rather foolish) BSD addition.  The original 'nohup' command did
nothing more than tell the process to ignore the HUP (and INT and
QUIT) signal, and then execute the subcommand.  It was up to the user
to redirect the command's output to a file, if that was what was
wanted.