Stephen Gran on 10 Jan 2004 18:18:02 -0000

[PLUG] Looking for hardware suggestions

Hello all,

This question in various forms seems to crop up over and over again, but
bear with me.  I'm looking to replace an obnoxiously loud box that is
currently serving as a file and print server for my LAN.  What I would
like to replace it with is a small form factor, very quiet box that can
sit unnoticed in the corner.

The only drawbacks I see are many of these small form factor boxes are
limited in what you can stuff in them, and I need to have at least a
little leeway.  I have the following stuffed into the current box:

2 NIC's (I assume any recent box will come with at least one on-board,
though, so not a big deal, so long as it has a few PCI slots)
2 3.5" hard drives (120034 MB & 203928 MB, according to dmesg)
USB support (at least two ports)
Parport
Please god not a Sis mobo - almost every one of them I have tried has
felt sluggish, presumably because of a slow bus speed.

This box will be headless, so I don't care about audio or video - I will
probably plug a monitor in once, to make sure it comes up without
problems, and that'll be it.

I would appreciate any recommendations about things like minimum power
supply needed for this hardware (I have no idea how to calculate what
the drives need - the rest is pretty minimal, I would think), any happy
experiences with small form factor boxes, and that kind of thing.

Thanks in advance,
|  Stephen Gran                  | We are each entitled to our own         |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | opinion, but no one is entitled to his  |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | own facts.   -- Patrick Moynihan        |