Mike Leone on 24 Jan 2004 01:18:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Speaking of Win98 -- Samba question

Arthur Alexion (arthur@alexion.com) had this to say on 01/23/04 at 13:37:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 12:56:06PM -0500, Art Alexion said:
> >

> >>...but not vice-versa.  Linux machine does not show up in the windows
> >>explorer "network" folder (nor in the network browser) just "entire
> >>network" and the windows machines.  I have not defined any shares on the
> >>Linux machine, but shouldn't the machine itself show up?
> >>

> >Yes.  I seem to remember problems with browsing if samba is run out of
> >inetd, rather than as a standalone daemon.  See if browsing works when
> >run standalone, and debug from there.
> >

> Stephen,
>
> Please explain what you mean by 'running samba out of inetd, rather than
> as a standalone daemon'.

When you run samba out of inetd, it means that the program is not constantly
runing; it is excuted and loaded each time the server sees traffic on it's
assigned port. This is a lot slower, as it needs to be loaded and unloaded
from memory often.

Running it standalone means that you start it once, and it stays running in
the background, listening at all times for traffic for it to service.

> I started samba using the 'Service Configuration' GUI.

Not familar with RH, sorry.