gabriel rosenkoetter on 5 Feb 2004 05:21:02 -0000

[PLUG] What became of the wireless mesh talk?

After the meeting tonight, I was asked (by someone who I know both
by face and probably by name, but not the two together; my sincerest
apologies--speak up, and I'll know next time) if anything ever came
of the bold talk about establishing a wireless mesh network around
Philly, probably starting with Delaware County/Swarthmore.

To my knowledge, no. I don't think there's any shortage of ability;
I think there's a shortage of organizational verve. I thought Magnus
Hedemark had that in the bag, but I think he probably got busy with
other things. (This would be his opportunity to jump back in,
though... ;^>)

Nelson Pavlosky, who I brought to tonight's meeting, a Swarthmore
student who isn't, at the moment, subscribed to PLUG (so keep him in
the Cc list for now, I guess) expressed interest, on behalf of a
Swarthmore campus group, in helping with organization.

That campus group is the SCDC, which you may have read about in, oh,
the New York Times this past year. (Hint: Diebold.)

Are my assumptions about why this died out the first time correct?

I'd be in favor of taking part in the technical bits, be glad to
share my 768 SDSL out with an antenna on the roof, but I'm not hot
on the hassle of making noise about the mesh's existence and
tracking down new people with whom to peer. (It turns out I already
have fast Internet access and wireless Ethernet in my home, so I'm
not desperate enough to take a bunch of organization iniative here.)

If you want to catch up on what's already been said, I think the
threads about this from last summer start around here:

  http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2003-06/msg00116.html
  http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2003-06/msg00198.html

If anyone went to this wireless workshop:

  http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2003-06/msg00114.html

that's probably be helpful.

(Hey! Look at that, archives! Great! Thanks, MCT!)

Also, Nelson: