LeRoy Cressy on 9 Feb 2004 04:12:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OpenOffice customization

Hi Art,

I have found that the Debian versio of OO 1.1 has really improved upon 1.0. The help documentation is a lot better along with measurments defaulting to inches along with letter paper. This was a tremendous improvement.

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
I'm on a quest to customize OOo so that I can start using it as my primary ¨serious¨ word processor. I've found that the OOo hosted mail lists are so crowded as to be impractical.

First hurdle -- conquering the document object model (DOM). In my experience, the only way to really understand a word processor is to understand the DOM. (For example, Word docs contain sections; sections contain paragraphs; and paragraphs contain characters. Margins, columns, page numbering are stored in the following section marks; paragraph formatting and styles are contained in the following paragraph mark. Macros, styles and auto text are stored first in the document template, and once the document has been created styles are stored in the document independent of the template. Macros can be stored in documents, but auto text cannot. If a macro of the same name is stored in both the document template and also in the global template layer, the one in the document template will execute by default.)

I need to learn this kind of stuff about OOo to really work with it. I haven't been able to find it in the help file or [easily] on the web site. Any recommendations of a good resource (in English, not German).

Second hurdle -- OO Basic. I tried to build a dialog using the built in basic editor. Forget it. I can't convert my Word customizations if I can't build dialogs.

under help look for "basic IDE"

There is a section in the help section on building dialogs. Now I do not think that you can effective import a M$ version of the basic into OO. It seems that OO is using the Sun Star Office version of basic and not the M$ version.

Now there are aseveral basic libraries included in OO and OO provided the ability to add a library. Possibly you can add a M$ basic library. It seems that OO basic looks more like C than the basic I used in the early 70's.

My frustration comes from my belief that OOo is up to the task -- now, already. It's just that this stuff is not documented.

Has anyone had any success at really customizing OOo and can recommend resources?

Since OO is using Soffice Basic would it be wise to purchase a copy of Soffice with all of the documentation?

-- --

_______________________________________
Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC
arthur [at] alexion [dot] com
aim: aalexion
sms: 2679725536 [at] messaging [dot] sprintpcs [dot] com

GnuPG fingerprint
pub 1024D/ACC5BA7A 2004-01-30 Arthur S. Alexion (Art Alexion) <arthur@alexion.com>
Key fingerprint = 52A4 B10C AA73 096F A661 92D2 3B65 8EAC ACC5 BA7A
sub 1024g/328F84E6 2004-01-30

- -- Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com /\_/\
http://lrcressy.com ( o.o )
Phone: 215-535-4037 > ^ <
FAX: 215-535-4285

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/