Magnus Hedemark on 10 Feb 2004 22:50:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] apache + php + mySQL

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 rekaye1005@earthlink.net wrote:

> thanks for the info.
> final question: are php and MySQL current technology for dynamic web pages?

Yes and kind of yes.

I was hoping to avoid starting a holy war.  But you owe it to yourself to
either add PostgreSQL to your list or maybe even replace MySQL with
PostgreSQL.  MySQL is a favorite among the .com's and rightfully so.
PostgreSQL earns more respect from professional DBA's as being a
feature-complete RDBMS and they have tried to keep their SQL
implementation close to Oracle's to help developers get up to speed
quickly.  If you're doing financial transactions, I wouldn't even consider
MySQL.  If all you're doing is a CMS or forums or something less critical,
MySQL is still an option.